Sunday, February 28, 2010

SK8 or DIE

I was cleaning my room today and ran across my old skateboard photo albums and got inspired to write this blog today.Those were the good old days from 1988-2002 skateboarding was apart of my life.... and then I had Keanu in 2003 and I turned 25 yrs old and never thought about skateboarding again until 35 minutes ago in my room!I also took out my old skateboard to pass it along to Keanu... you see I met Keanu's dad through skateboarding and now I pass the board to a new generation.... I also got really creative art wise through my years of skating due to my favorite skate heroes doing their own art graphics for their skate decks..... Here we go down memory lane! My old photo albums
my old journal from 1996-1998

I saved my first skate sticker that I put on my first car


Kean's dads guitar.. him and I had fun in those days collecting skate stickers :)



18 years old and care free 1996





Yuck how did I ever leave the house looking like this?
This was my first skateboard I had bought with my own money H-Street with Madonna on it.... must have been 1991 I was 13 yrs old here... and it was the grunge era Nirvanna was popular :/




My first tattoo ... 1996 age 18 ... FUN DAYS!!






2002 me and my brother Matt I got him into skateboarding .... these were the days when Matt and I would go skating together!








I loved Toy Machine







Ed Templeton was my FAVORITE skater .... his art work inspired me the most!









Ed Templeton's art show










Ed Templeton's art











Ed Templeton's art













Another favorite skater of mine was Mark Gonzales... his art is still amazing to me!












Mark Gonzales' art















Mark Gonzales' art















Mark Gonzales' art
















Then there is the one and only Tony Alva
















Tony Alva's art show



















Tony Alva


















Tony Alva




















Music inspired me a lot too when I was skating...
Loved the Beastie Boys





















and the Pixies ... always had to JAM to them:)























and the good old Dead Milkmen
and the movie Gleaming the Cube with Christian Slater and Tony Hawk























So this is my last skateboard I had bought an Ed Templeton Toy Machine from 2001... I put the grip tape on myself so if it looks like crap you know why..... so I busted it out and gave it to Keanu today :)






















Crappy grip tape job... so be it!

























Ed Templeton graphic of his wife



























Keanu didn't want to pose for the pic... but TRUST me he was happy to receive my skateboard :)



























LOOK how cute my little Keke is, all grown up... 6yrs old and rocking it out!!!
So that is my story and that's that then ...... JAR




























1 comment:

  1. That last picture you have up as Mark's art is actually mine. I drew that for a British art show called "The Side Effects of Urethane" in London, I think around 2002. That one was one I redrew in my sketchbook and put up on my old website, "AREYOUAVICTIM.COM" The sites not up anymore, but I had a section called the Gutter Gallery that had a bunch of stuff up, that image included. That particular drawing is called "Fraudulent Mark Gonzales Drawing". I guess it worked! I got a real kick out of seeing this under a search for Mark Gonzales. -Bobby Puleo

    ReplyDelete