Wednesday, February 17, 2010

North African Meatballs in a Navy Bean & Spinich Soup

So tonight I made my favorite meat balls .... I normally make these meat balls in a special North African sauce but I wanted to change it up into a nice hot soup.... Because it's COLD outside!!!! So this dish is a keeper at least that's what the people said to me that ate it tonight!The good thing is that every one including myself went back for seconds... OK maybe thirds but who's counting? My extra fat rolls are counting from eating all this food I have been cooking... oh well :) Look how beautiful :)
NORTH AFRICAN MEAT BALL Recipe
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro leaves
  • 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 pound ground beef
  • 1/3 cup plain fine bread crumbs
  • 1/2 tsp red ground pepper
  • 1 lime zested
  • 1 tbsp lime juice
  • olive oil for cooking
  • salt and pepper

mix the egg and tomatoe paste together REAL good... then add the dry ingredients with the lime zest and lime juice... then add the ginger and cilantro.. mix well


next mix in the meat and bread crumbs ... roll into balls



add olive oil and brown the meat balls .... this is where it begins to smell YUMMY!





When they have browned drain the meat balls on a napkin and place them to the side




In a larger pan add Olive oil and 1/2 chopped onion and fresh garlic to the pan .. let simmer for 2 minutes





This is what happened to me when I was cutting the onions... I started to cry and my mascara was a NIGHTMARE... I looked like crazy a lady cooking with raccoon eyes :)








Next add the chicken stock and bring to a boil







I let my navy beans soak over night .. I used half a bag.. so next add your navy beans to the pan









next add the meat balls ... put a lid on tight and let simmer for 1 hr so the beans can get tender











The last ten minutes add your spinach ... I used half a bag of it ... SO yummy!!!









Let the spinach sit on top of the soup and let it simmer for ten minutes













and LOOK how wonderful it's done :)













Serve in a bowl ... while the spinach was cooking I had put some yummy garlic toast in the oven to serve with the soup :)













I am so proud of myself :) I am tired of cooking , but I love to cook at the same time.... JAR
















1 comment:

  1. goooddd stuff i used this one as a basic then added my own seasonings & few extra ingreds ea. mushrooms, lots of minced garlic, slab bacon-fried crispy & sprinkled ontop onlong with shredded parmesan cheese....yummy both ways. Thx

    ReplyDelete